- pray ... into strongholds and for new openings,
- serve ... the community according to their needs,
- build ... relationships through whatever means God opens and provides,
- search ... out 'a person of peace' (c.f. Luke 10:1-9),
- pray & prayer-walk ... regularly through the community,
- pray ... again and again,
- wait on God ... for opportunities to share about His Grace while praying again,
- wait on God ... to bring people into a believing faith of Him while praying again,
- celebrate ... new birth and encourage new believers,
- meet ... with new believers regularly, with emphasis on getting them into the Word of God and praying with believing prayer,
- build ... a new church around the original 'person of peace',
- seek God ... to build a vision of outreach into new communities and pray together for these communities to start the process over again.
With praise to God we celebrated 5 new believers in this community last week. :-) Our small fellowship has grown by 50% overnight. It is by God's Grace that these new believers will remain faithful over the years. I don't know the outcome of that at this stage. Other new believers in our other slum community, a further distance from where we live, have struggled. BUT, the new believers in our local slum community who met Jesus around 18 months ago are going strong and loving new discoveries in the Word of God.
Jen & I with 3 of the new believers of 18 months ago and 2 of the original members of this church plant
It is beyond my human comprehension how God begins to transform a community that once had no hope. Ephesians 3:20,21 reminds me that nothing happens in my human comprehension anyway. It is an awesome privilege to serve the Living God and be a part of what HE is doing. In our 4 years here there have been huge setbacks and unbearable periods of pain (physically, emotionally and spiritually). But it is all worth it when a community begins a process of transformation before your very eyes!! It is all worth it when the God of the universe decides to involve the worst of sinners (i.e. me) in His plans!! There is very little else that brings such tears and weeping to my heart and eyes.